Skip to main content

Belajar Bisnes: The Golden Rule of Securing Customer Loyalty

A good article to ponder upon.
-------------------------------------------
Customer loyalty, whether customers come back for more and bring their friends—it’s a signal not just of whether you’re going to make more money, it’s a great signal of whether you’re treating people right, living up to the Golden Rule.
You know, this Golden Rule—treating people the way you’d want to be treated if you were in their shoes—is such a fundamentally important idea. And I think business, when it’s done right, holds people accountable for treating people right, doesn’t just talk about being great.
So many companies today are talking about being great, and they’re not measuring it. And they’re creating bad profits. What are bad profits? Well, they’re profits earned at the expense of a customer. By doing things to them that you wouldn’t want to have that done to a loved one. You wouldn’t want done to yourself.
A good example is I returned my rental car down in JB. I’m 35 minutes late because of terrible traffic across the Causeway, and the guy who takes the keys and has a fancy computer and all the IT devices, he says, “Mr. Hairi, I’m sorry that you’re going to—it’s going to be a half-day charge because you’re 35 minutes late.” I’m thinking, “Half a day. Come on, what is that about?” “And did you fill up the petrol?” I think, “Oh, I didn’t have time.” “It’s going to be about RM250 to fill the tank because we charge you 400% markups.”
And he’s embarrassed, which would happen to any employee who has to treat people that way. I am livid. And then he says, “Oh, but next time when you rent, get that protection plan.” And I’m thinking, “Protection plan? Is this organized crime (kongsi gelap) or car rental?”
And so many companies who would think they’re ethical are doing things to their customers that are outrageous. Whether it’s an airline charging for baggage—or, worse, would be the change fees. Fine—[it’ll] cost you RM25, change the ticket. Not—it costs RM200. That’s absurd.
So, too many companies are finding they can abuse customers, earn bad profits, make their quarterly results for the companies/shareholders. But in so doing, [they] communicate to all their employees that loyalty, treating people ethically, has nothing to do with what we care about as a management team. And I think more and more companies have to come to the recognition they cannot innovate, they can’t bring the right kind of good people into their company as employees, unless they start getting more serious about treating their customers right and earning their loyalty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3.1 sen = Income Distribution for Amanah Hartanah Bumiputera (AHB) for 6 months ended 31 March 2017

For those who are looking for a conventional and steady stream of income, you may want to opt for AHB (syariah-compliant, tax-exempt and payable net of zakat). From The Edge Markets KUALA LUMPUR (April 4): Amanah Hartanah Bumiputera's (AHB) income distribution for the six months ended March 31, 2017 fell to 3.1 sen per unit, compared with 3.3 sen for the previous corresponding period. AHB is a syariah-compliant real-estate backed trust fund with a fixed price of RM1 per unit. It is sponsored by Pelaburan Hartanah Bhd (PHB), a real estate investment holding company owned by Yayasan Amanah Hartanah Bumiputera. The fund's manager is Maybank Asset Management Sdn Bhd. "The income distribution of AHB is tax-exempt and payable net of zakat, which will be credited directly into the unit holder's bank account on April 17," PHB and Maybank Asset Management said in a statement. For the full financial year ended Sept 30, 2016, a total income distribution of 6....

Buying a new bike

Traffic in KK is getting worse from time to time. Not only expensive house rental and food, the cost for getting to work is also increasing. I am seriously considering buying a bike... Still haven't made up my mind yet, a typical bike or a scooter? Scooter looks more elegant and easier to handle. However, expect higher CAPEX and OPEX. Typical bike looks not so stylish, but should meet the intended purpose i.e. getting to work. Based on these arguments, I prefer scooter to typical bike :) Waiting for the right time, then just go the the shop and grab one... no more thinking. This one looks nice: Joymax 250: yet to find the dealer and OTR price. Huge luggage box works for me. The 12L fuel capacity is good for a non-stop 300km-journey.

Belajar Bisnes: Prosedur lawan Budaya

Kisah menarik, iktibar buat yang berniaga. ---------- In the world I live in today, I feel very strongly that culture is more powerful than strategy. As we head towards recovery, far too many organizations are obsessed with strategy. But when I say culture, I mean “the way we get things done around here.” A couple weeks ago, I traveled to LA to the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. And you know, the best hotels in the world, what they do brilliantly is they make the check-in process just disappear. So I'm coming in with my bags, I'm really tired, and I've got a board rehearsal in two hours. All that was on my mind is, “We're rehearsing in two hours.” Somehow, the doorman takes my bags and probably sees the luggage tag. And before I know it, I get to the desk, and—“Just sign here. Welcome back to [the] Beverly Wilshire Hotel, Mr. Carayol.” Well, it stunned me, because I've never stayed at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. So I said, “I'm very sorry. I've never ...